Academic Writing

Image result for silly essays

     I'm going to be honest, when I first saw all that I had to read in this academic article, I thought I was going to fall asleep, especially after reading the first few sentences. The diction was so formal, and my first impression was that it was going to be a drag reading it. I was surprised to see myself enjoying this article, and I was actually really focused on it. I think a big part of it is because I knew that her advice was going to directly help me in my writing, and considering she is very educated and qualified to be writing about this, I wanted to make sure I took in everything she said.
     It certainly was not an easy read. As I mentioned previously, the diction was hard to understand at times, and looking up words disrupted the flow of my reading. Also, there were words that were joined into unique phrases which I had not seen before, so I had to stop and think a lot about what exactly they were saying. Another challenging aspect was the integration of long quotations and passages taken from the articles she was citing. She was trying to prove a point with them, so instead of simply reading the quotations, you had to read them with an analytical mindset. How does this prove her point? So you definitely had to be on your toes while reading this.
     In terms of having a voice of authority, I found it interesting that many authors chose to use first person. Using first person was a huge writing sin at my high school in pretty much all writing assignments, especially essays, so I was really surprised to see how common it was. Thonney also points out that most of these writers choose to use the active voice, a contrast to the engineers she cites. Teachers constantly preached to us the importance of utilizing the active voice, so that comes as no surprise.
     Another point that caught my attention was the way in which academic papers tell the audience the plan for their paper, laying out exactly what, and in what order, they will discuss topics. We always wrote out a thesis statement, which listed things that supported our main argument, and it was assumed that we would follow the order listed in the thesis. But it was one sentence, while Thonney cites papers that list the order in which topics will appear in multiple sentences, using words such as "first", "second", and "third", which was seen as childish by teachers.
     It was interesting to see how formal, but at the same time, informal, many academic writings are. The phrases that are specific to the discipline being written about and the numerical representations and images highlight how formal it gets, while the use of the first person and listing things, as mentioned earlier, emphasize the fact that academic writing isn't as formal as it sounds. Perhaps these things are surprising me because of the specific way I was instructed to write throughout the last 12 years. Nevertheless, this article was really helpful in telling me what I should use to make my academic writing more effective; some of it seemed like review for me, but most of it was really enlightening.
 

Comments

  1. I am happy to lead you to the path of enlightenment, Alex!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the meme in the beginning, it really sets up your opening and catches the readers attention. I too didn't expect to enjoy this read, but knowing it is helpful to us as first-year college students made it much more valuable. I agree with your points on what was considered a "Sin" or "childish" to include in writing back in high school. I always accepted these so-called "rules" as facts, but looking back why did our teachers make us do that?? Thonney's writing made me realize there is nothing wrong with being straightforward in academic writing, as long as it's used appropriately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your meme is how I currently feel having forgotten that I still had another comment to do! Anyways, I also found this article interesting because I could directly identify myself within the article even though I am not the primary audience at all. I was abled to see where I was on the right track and where my writing could use some work. I really hadn't given much thought to academic writing being less formal structurally until reading Thonney's article but it is so interesting. All of these successful writers write in first person and do all these things that were basically forbidden in our previous writing assignments. This leads me to become very curious to find out the reason behind this. Is it because of their credibility? Maybe it's just a different way of writing. I'm allowed to reply to you right now in first person but when I write an essay talking in first person would greatly reduce the formality of my writing. Perhaps it is acceptable for Thonney or any other academic writer to speak in first person if they have proven they are credible and have done a lot of research to make us feel we can trust their word and the writer is not simply saying "I think ____ because ____" and just handing us their opinion.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ugh, Americans

It's All About the Money, Money, Money

1 vs 99