Dreaming On

     The analysis of what the American Dream means to people is so fascinating in this first chapter of The American Dream in the 21st Century because it confirms something we have discovered during the first few days of this course: that the American Dream differs for everyone. It depends on your race, color, age, time period, background, and a plethora of other factors. Yes, material and educational prizes are a huge part of the American Dream for many, but what I found really surprising was how many people viewed is in a more spiritual and emotional light.
     For example, according to a Penn, Schoen, and Berland Associates 2008 poll, 93 percent of respondents stated that "Having a good family life" was a "'major part'" of the American Dream, as well as 90 percent saying that "Having quality healthcare for myself and my family" (Hanson, White, 10) was important.
     One of the reasons I find these statistics so interesting is that these numbers are bigger than the importance of economic security. Yes, 79 percent of people saying that the American Dream "meant owning a home" and 77 percent saying that they believed it meant "being able to send one's children to college" (Hanson, White, 9) are large numbers, but I honestly thought that most people would think of the American Dream in a more materialistic sense.
     While the material aspect of it is certainly still important, White and Hanson going so far as saying that "economic security continues to define the American Dream" (Hanson, White, 10), it is now a much broader term.
     Talking with my older relatives, many of whom are immigrants, they have shared with me their stories. My grandpa immigrated from Belgium during World War 2 to Detroit. His family aided Allied soldiers who came through their town, and they would relay stories of their families, kids, jobs they left behind, their homes, and many other things. He took a leap of faith and made the trip. After attending night school while also working during the day, he was able to make a sufficient living. My Grandpa Popsi soon had a wife and 3 kids. And they all went to college.
     He came to America looking for the opportunities that war-torn, Nazi-inhabited Belgium did not offer him. When I think of people who have achieved the American Dream, I think of people living in a lovely house in an urban area, with economic security, and a blissful domestic life. He achieved that. And reading this section enhanced my perception of the American Dream. It is a combination of economic security and spiritual success. All these factor into the American Dream. But maybe one aspect is more important to some.
     One of my cousins is a musician, still lives at home, and is by no means rich- in fact, just the opposite. But he is probably the happiest person I've met. He is able to do what he loves, which is music, even if he doesn't have the fame and fortune of others. Contrastingly, one of my good friend's fathers; he started his own business, is very well off, with a big house and fancy cars, but, being a good friend of his son's, I know of the domestic issues. And it's a very unhappy family.
     My point is this: the American Dream differs for everyone. Silly old me thought more about the material aspect of it, which just goes to show the materialistic world I've grown up in. Actually, all of us have. Maybe being wealthy is more important than being happy for some, vice versa, or of equal importance. These 3 people I mentioned are just examples of each of the 3 scenarios, and this section highlights the different meanings of the American Dream.

Comments

  1. I agree with you that everyone has a different view of the American Dream, although i wasn't so surprised to see such high numbers in the statistics section about what the American Dream means to a typical American. This is because when someone thinks about what the American Dream is they usually see a decent size house with a white picket fence and being financially stable. So when surveying the average American its typical to see high statistics on stereotypical choices. As for immigrants they perceive the American Dream as exactly the way you described it with your families personal experience. Great perspective on the reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it fascinating how, when it comes to something as broad and general as the American Dream, many people put aside materialistic and financial concerns and instead focus on the improvement of society? I too had a similar perspective while I was reading through the introduction. As far as I can see, the American Dream is something personalized to you, what you want for yourself and what you want to see change, a thriving future for your family, and/or the even broader world. I would imagine that the dream also depends almost entirely on context; if a family was in desperate need of financial stability, I'm sure that economic success would be high on their minds. The American Dream could also be simple happiness, something a lot of people are lucky to have and others are desperate to get their hands on. It really is incredibly personalized to each human being.

    -Jenna Shapiro

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how you highlighted the two sides of the American Dream. Materialistic aspects like money, a big house, economic success, versus a more spiritual dream involving passion and happiness. I appreciate how you mention that economic success does not equal happiness, even though that might be someone's dream. We have grown up in a matrialistic world, and where it isn't a bad thing to want economic stability, I think your post raises a good question: at what cost is economic success worth happiness? Your examples of people you have know on both sides of the dreaming spectrum gives insight into the pros and cons of economic dreams versus dreams of happiness. Your post really speaks to me because I think its easy in this day and age to confuse those two ideas. Also, I definitely see your point in mentioning that the two different types of dreams both have value, and yet we have to realize that one is more important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The American Dream definitely differs for everyone, and I really liked how you pointed that out, especially the fact that more people don't consider the American Dream in a materialistic aspect which I also find interesting. For some, attaining the American Dream can be acquiring a better lifestyle, like your grandpa, or just living a blissful life, like your cousin. I think it's so fascinating that people can have such drastically different dreams and yet it still be considered an American Dream. I liked your interpretation of this dream to be economic security and spiritual success because I feel like those are two key aspects towards being happy with one's lifestyle and that plays a major part in the American Dream.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the connections you made to your own family, what an interesting story about your grandpa! I feel almost secondhand proud of him. I totally felt the same way as you going into this reading: that the American Dream is about having wealth and economic success. I also was surprised by the social/emotional successes that people described as part of their American Dreams and it actually gave me a little more faith in the priorities of our nation. I like the conclusion that the American Dream is a mix and can vary from person to person. I think all of life is just everyone looking at the world around them through different lenses, with different interpretations of what is good and bad, success or failure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like how you are beginning to see that there are two basic sides to this dream, one is economic and the other is more social. We'll explore that a little bit more when we come back to this.

    Thanks for sharing your family story. Great post, Alex.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ugh, Americans

It's All About the Money, Money, Money

1 vs 99